- A homeless man steals food from the Marriott in Southlake and breaks into a car. Sitting in jail, to poor to make bond, he is found hanged to death. Now police think the accused capital murderer of a pastor may have killed him.
- If you are the Harris County (Houston) DA, why have a trial in that cop-beating-black-kid case right before an election? There are a million ways a prosecutor can dodge a trial (dismiss the case and refile it, for example). Now the predominately Democratic Harris County electorate is fired up about turning the DA out.
- Funny moment in my trial yesterday. Right in the middle of jury selection, a guy just walks in and wanders around. He finally looks up and asks, "Is this the courtroom?"
- Funny moment #2 after the prosecutor ask the jury panel if they had ever had a bad or good experience with police: A lady, with a thick British accent, said, "I was stopped once by not one but by two policemen and they were both very good looking. [Laughter.] You asked if I had a good experience with police and that was a very good experience." Prosecutor: "OK, anyone else been stopped by a couple of Chippendale dancers?"
- Mrs, LL and I played catch in the back yard last night. That was fun until she took over my backstop/pitchback.
- I don't know exactly what happened between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, but the news of Zimmerman's injuries yesterday makes the prosecution's case a lost cause. It's all about reasonable doubt.
- I think Fox 4 spent 15 minutes with the SMU women's rowing team last night about a viral video they made that doesn't look interesting enough to watch.
- It's official: Decatur Middle School will receive 750 iPads for students and 50 for teachers. Are there 750 students in the middle school?
- I received a spam comment from this law firm calling themselves "DWI Sharks". If they are resorting to spam, I'll call them a bunch of spares. But the women are hot.
- A donation was made to Baylor yesterday to build a bridge across the Brazos to connect the campus to the new football stadium. The undisclosed amount came from Walter Umphrey who was part of the “Tobacco Five” lawyers who shared a $3.3 billion fee from the tobacco companies when the State of Texas sued them, using private lawyers, over a decade ago. What a scam. What an embarrassment. (Former Texas AG Dan Morales even ended up in prison for falsifying documents in an attempt to get a lawyer buddy part of that fee. )
- Can you ever quote any parts of the Old Testament since Christ brought forth a new covenant? (It does have some rather bizarre rules. Can you ignore those without ignoring all of it?)
- A faithful reader who attends college out of state posted this pic this morning on Twitter saying it was outside her window and asking "What is this?" It looks like a 25 pound squirrel.
- Skinny, "Hey, now."
- Why spend so much to capture a U.S. Senate seat? A vacancy hardly ever occurs and once you are elected, you'll never be defeated.
at 8:34 AM