Edit: I have been redeemed. At 9:22 p.m., minutes after I wrote this, Bob Costas said: "Interesting that all the nations are marching in to the accompaniment of a seemingly random collection of 80s American pop tunes".
Then I stumbled onto this fake pic and my life was good again.
- The opening Madonna/Gorillaz thing was odd but kinda cool (pic of Madonna performing / ton of pics here)
- How did Kelly Clarkson's hair get so long? (See pic below)
- U2 is cool. I want to be Bono. (Pic from tonight here)
- I think I sing better than Neil Young (who was awkwardly nominated for Best Rock Album)
- Stevie Wonder has been everywhere: Super Bowl on Sunday, Corretta Scott King's funeral yesterday, and the Grammys tonight
- I like John Legend's "Ordinary People"
- The pic is of Christina Aguiliar on the red carpet tonight (wasn't she dark headed in an earlier post?)
- Uh, oh, Kanye West just won Best Rap Album. President Bush don't like rap music.
- I love the guy, but I could have done without the Paul McCartney live spot and I gringed when he said "Thank you, Grammy people" as the crowd was cheering. But he kinda redeemed himself with "Helter Skelter".
- Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas has the oddest face.
- I can't believe that Mariah Carey has made the comeback that she has - but, as I've said before, that last album was great.
- Kelly Clarkson, bless her heart, sounds like a complete idiot during her acceptance speeches.
- I'm not too familiar with Keith Urban (I gave up country music 10 years ago), but he ain't exactly Brooks & Dunn (which is a good thing these days). And I think he gets to go to Chili's with Nicole Kidman.
- Faith Hill is getting a little older - but aren't we all.
- Carlos Santana looks like some of my meth clients.
- Is there anything in this world more a matter of personal taste than music?
- Sly and the Family Stone was honored tonight. How does one get to go by the name "Sly"?
- Fantasia could beat me up.
- Wow. Sly Stone of Sly and the Family Stone showed up. But his hair is worse that, say, a Flock of Seagulls. As soon as I get a pic, I'll post it. Edit: Found it. (A quick Internet search revealed a shocking tidbit: He had not performed in public since 1993!)
- Bruce Springsteen beats me down.
- I don't know if McCartney and Jay-Z singing "Yesterday" together was cool or unstable.
- "Bless This Broken Road" was nominated for Song of the Year. Yeah, I gave up country, but I still like it.
- U2's "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" won something (not sure what), but I really like that song.
- Jamie Foxx is talented.
- The "Gold Digger" song with the marching bands was a nice touch.
- Sheryl Crow suffers from "boney chest".
- Green Day is the most main stream "rebel band" I've ever seen. They won some award (I need to pay more attention") for "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" but their song that has the lyrics of "wake me up when September ends" was so much better.
- I wonder if the Grammys represent the best singers in America? Probably not a chance.
- "Album of the Year" went to: U2's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bond". Poor Mariah. You wuz robbed.
- So Bono is up accepting the award for Best Album and gives a shout out to Paul McCartney (a co-nominee) - but in doing so he makes this very odd statement: "To be in the company of Paul McCartney who discovered the country that we are all living in is a true honor indeed." I take back my earlier statement, I don't want to be like Bono.