- If you wanted to listen to oral arguments at the Fort Worth Court of Appeals in Terry Ross v. Lane Akin, you could do so here. Edit: Link fixed. Edit: Well, it's on this page. Edit: Sheesh. The link is there but it is inoperable on the court's website. I suppose they will update it.
- Jeffrey Fowle, the American released by North Korea, returned to the U.S. yesterday. I thought it was odd that when he landed in Ohio he pulled his luggage on the tarmac like a tourist before being reunited with his family.
- Four members of Blackwater were convicted of murder and/or manslaughter yesterday. There's no telling what else that out of control organization did in Iraq.
- Cowboys' Demarco Murray bought iMacs for his five starting offensive lineman but left out Jermey Parnell who replaced injured Doug Free last week and will continue to do so for at least the next two weeks.
- How did I miss this movie last year?!: Chupacabra vs. The Alamo starring Erik Estrada.
- A guy imprisoned for over 25 years, but who received a new trial, had a crazy development yesterday during jury deliberations in Waco. He pled guilty to killing his two adopted sons in exchange for a 60 year sentence. From this article, it sounds like the defense knew that the 1980s parole laws, which applied to the case, mandated his release as soon as the paperwork is processed, but the DA didn't know this. Wise County connection: "One of Graf’s attorneys, Michelle Tuegel [formerly Michelle Simpson of Bridgeport], said her co-counsel, Walter M. Reaves Jr., consulted with [a parole expert] on Tuesday to verify that [the defendant] is eligible for mandatory release. She said the matter was not discussed with . . . prosecutors."
- A handful of NFL players get rich, but most are simply exploited. And the reason is their playing careers are so short that they can't form a strong union. Baseball players, which can easily play for 15 years, can absolutely strike for two years yet make it up once the owners cave. A kid out of college in the NFL knows he's got an average of five years, if he's lucky, to make as much as he can. You think he's willing to strike for even one year?
- Ummkaaay: "The future of TLC’s hit reality series Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is up in the air after reports surfaced that June Shannon, aka “Mama June,” is dating a convicted sex offender who served time for child molestation. TMZ reports that Shannon has rekindled her romance with Mark McDaniel, who reportedly went to jail for molesting a child in Shannon’s family when they were dating years earlier."
- I've always thought that most of the abuse of criminal defendants occurs in JP and municipal courts. (No where else does a court case start with the illegal presumption that you owe a bill to the government.) Texas has 817 Justice Courts and 926 Municipal Courts.
- If you're in a media crisis, no matter how bad, just ride it out (i.e. Bill Clinton or Roger Goodell.) I bet Nixon would have survived as well if he had refused to resign.
I promise I still have it turned off!
I've seen a couple of comments about something being different about the comment process. Word verification? I haven't changed a thing. I did a "test" comment and didn't see anything different.
What are you guys seeing? I'll put my well armed Liberally Lean Tech Support Department on it immediately if there's an issue.
at 1:27 PM
- There's someone being prosecuted for the unauthorized practice of law in Tarrant County. At first, I thought it was odd since it seems like a case which should be able to be resolved without a trial. Then I learned the defendant is a disbarred Dallas municipal judge who has gone to jail before for stealing clients' money.
- The only people that have contracted Ebola on U.S. soil are the two nurses and they are going to survive. What was all the fuss about?
- If you're a fan of the C.J. Wilson brag, you've got to read what he had to say about picking up a new car in Dallas.
- The Star-Telegram has a story of a Keller girl who died "after taking Ecstasy" at the Austin City Limits Festival last month. Yet toxicology tests are still pending. Big prediction: MDMA didn't kill her. Pure MDMA isn't going to kill anyone. There will be something else found to be in that pill.
- Texas mega-lawyer and Aggie Tom Buzbee claims he was defrauded out of an investment of $1.5 million in a "dance film" which was to star either Justin Timberlake or Ryan Gosling. The article reads like he was told the total cost of the film would be $3 million. If that's the representation that was made and he believed it, the man may be a great lawyer but he is clueless about what it costs to make a movie.
- The Brian King who eluded deputies yesterday in Chico is listed on the Wise County Sheriff's Office website as being 5'9" and 200 pounds.
- The radio told me this morning that the nine lowest rated World Series have been the last nine. Baseball will survive into the future but I don't understand how.
- If the Renee Zellweger story interested you yesterday, look at this comparison.
- New Family Pup #2 is horrified by loud noises. Blender. Vacuum cleaner. Anything like that. It makes her take off and shake like there's no tomorrow. Any idea what could be in her past that causes a reaction like that or is that just natural for some dogs?
- "All Around Cowboy" current standings: 1. Trevor Brazile, Decatur, Texas $259,262. 2. Tuf Cooper, Decatur, Texas $158,537. 3. Clint Robinson, Spanish Fork, Utah $88,683. I don't know why Decatur doesn't market itself as the "Cowboy Capitol of America."
- I heard on the radio yesterday that the very spare Florida Georgia Line band cancelled a fan "meet and greet" in Dallas because of Ebola. I can't find anything about that online.
- For some reason, Baylor's school newspaper allowed a sports columnist to write about Muslims. Many were not pleased with his anti-Muslim generalization.
- "Michael Brown, the 18-year-old black man whose fatal shooting by a white police officer in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson in August touched off weeks of racially-charged rioting, had marijuana in his system, was initially shot at close range and does not appear to have been killed while running away, according to experts who reviewed the official autopsy and toxicology report." - And that's breaking news from Fox News.
#Breaking: 25 students stung by Africanized bees at Highland Middle School in Fort Worth. One child being transported to a hospital.
— FOX 4 NEWS (@FOX4) October 21, 2014
#BREAKING 25 kids stung by bees at Highland MS in Saginaw. 24 have minor stings. 1 student in serious condition. pic.twitter.com/Ov5B3suPXy
— Ryan Wood (@RyanWoodDFW) October 21, 2014
Edit: From Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine:
at 11:26 AM
Hey, I've mentioned before how Zellweger jazzes me. Even when she was a plump Bridget Jones, still loved her. This is her . . .
Or at least it used to be. Here are some recent pictures of her. Any chance ISIS has abducted her and snuck in a plant to infiltrate liberal Hollywood?
at 10:26 AM
at 9:15 AM