- Baylor loses to Yale, two players get in a shoving match on the bench, and the chance to win the game with four seconds left is wasted when some player tries a behind the back dribble and screws it up. No one does less with more talent than coach Scott Drew.
- Madonna exposes teenager's breast on stage. (That was a line I never thought I would type.)
- I've mentioned before that the Wounded Warrior Project had scandal written all over it. Two of its top executives were fired for a spending scandal over the last few days.
- "BENBROOK - Two little girls were found dead and their 31-year-old mother was found stabbed several times in their Benbrook residence Thursday morning, police said. They appeared to be the wife and daughters of Vadym Kholodenko, gold medalist of the 2013 Cliburn competition who is scheduled to be guest artist this weekend with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra."
- McKinney ISD will have a bond election on a 12,000 seat stadium. I first thought, "Oh, my" and then learned Allen ISD's stadium holds 18,000.
- I was struggling with a heavy bag of mulch in the Lowe's parking lot yesterday when a lady walked by and, in a sweet voice said, "Keep at it. You'll get it." I told her this wasn't as hard when I was younger. She replied, "They didn't tell us that, did they?" They did. We just didn't believe it.
- "Construction worker dies in 800-foot fall from Los Angeles skyscraper." I cannot imagine the horror.
- BagOfNothing had a note on Texas Ag Commissioner Sid Miller today on some questionable expenditures. When I walked into the Republican Headquarters in Austin a few months back to try and get on the ballot I swear I saw him walk out with an aide and grumble, "What a bunch of BS paperwork!" I had my paperwork typed out and in a briefcase.
- Ted Cruz is going to be on for an entire hour with Sean Hannity. Fox News is doing everything it can to derail Trump. And it won't work.
- "Dallas strip club meeting leads to X-rated legal battle of exotic dancer vs. venture capitalist." $40 million is at stake. Stop the world. I want to get off.
at 8:30 AM
And in one of the funniest radio bits ever, two Ticket guys tracked the leprechaun down two years ago.
at 9:06 AM
- Final chance to enter the Liberally Lean Tourney Pick' Em Where You Won't Win Any Money But On Your Death Bed You Will Receive Total Consciousness.
- Runner up winners for bracket names: "Kayaking For Dummies" and "Brackets Are Super Gay".
- St. Patrick's Day is the sparest of all "holidays".
- I've moved out to the lake and Lowe's may award me the Greatest Customer In The History Of Ever award based upon how much lawn stuff I've purchased.
- The First Family Pup In The House doesn't understand the lake and when she sees white caps she goes crazy. I think she thinks the lake is alive.
- I invested in Home Depot stock about 15 years ago and saw it do nothing but go down. When it finally got back up to where I purchased it after ten years, I sold it. It has since doubled. Insert Napoleon Dynamite voice: "Idiot."
- How many girls are in this photo?
- Hey, WFAA, you realize all your online weather radars are broken, right? Did you put Delkus in charge of that?
- Footage captures two inmates making a brazen escape from prison via a helicopter: abcn.ws/254FiRdamp.twimg.com/v/30ef4917-a27…
- Channel 5's Krystle Gutierrez refers to traffic accidents as "ax" on Twitter and it drives me crazy. We, who have street cred, all know that means "ask".
- The concept of getting a "warning" from a law enforcement officer is a little odd when you think about it. Either you broke the law or you did not, but he/she has the discretion just to "warn" you? Why?
- That off duty Farmer's Branch officer who shot and killed a 16 year old in Addison has now been arrested for murder. His attorney "questioned why the charges were filed without the case being presented to a grand jury. It 'can only be explained by the fact that my client is a black police officer.'" That is a dumb and moronic statement. 99% of all criminal cases involve an arrest before a referral to the grand jury. Cops, by law, should get no special treatment. Get a different lawyer.
- There was an incredible hail storm in Fort Worth this morning around 7:00 a.m. or so. Here's a different photo and that is truly golf ball size. And this photo is bizarre -- it looks like snow. And here is one of car windows destroyed.
- Fox News canceled the next Republican Debate after Trump says he will not show up. The. Wheels. Are. Off. For the millionth time: How did you guys not see this implosion coming?
- Stolen from the Update: "DRIVER RUN OVER BY HIS VEHICLE – A man was slightly injured when he fell out of his pickup and was then run over by the vehicle north of Rhome Wednesday morning. Police Chief Brandon Davis said David Ferguson, 48, of San Antonio was turning right from . . . Main Street when the driver’s side door of his 1994 Chevrolet pickup opened. Ferguson, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was pulled from the truck by centrifugal forces. Davis said Ferguson grabbed the steering wheel as he fell, accidentally steering the truck on top of him." Huh?
at 8:38 AM
"Today, I am nominating Chief Judge Merrick Brian Garland to join the Supreme Court." —@POTUS #SCOTUSnominee pic.twitter.com/ak7vqV9sCM— The White House (@WhiteHouse) March 16, 2016
Delicious. Will the Senate turn him down and hand the election to Hillary? Yep.
at 10:29 AM
- Liberally Lean Pick 'Em Tourney. We have a new winner for the name of a bracket: "Barry and Konni's Love Child" which is a reference to Konni Burton who I have publicly and correctly said is the dumbest Texas legislator in the history of Texas. (And, Sir!, in reference to another bracket name, that reference to what Mrs. LL might have in the boat is so offensive!)
- Trump won Florida last night. It's over! The Establishment can't stop him. This is the most entertaining and historic election ever.
- Marco Rubio quit and said at the press conference that it "wasn't God's plan". So God's plan is for Trump? God help us.
- Shout out to the Texas Court System Appellate People: You have to file a docketing statement online and must use Internet Explorer to do it? Moronic. Is someone getting a kick back?
- The President will announce a Supreme Court nominee today. It may be Sri Srinivasan (cool name) who is a United States Circuit Judge and a former Supreme Court clerk. The Senate confirmed him as a judge by a vote of 97–0 in 2013. The Republican controlled Senate will now start sweating. How do you not approve him now?
- Dear Sweet Bridgeport (the place where I grew up on the mean streets thereof): Do you really need to have on 380 speed signs that go from 70 to 60 to 45 to 40. #SpeedTrap
- I went in Brookshire's grocery store the other day. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
- The 7th Grader In The House had dental surgery yesterday and got drugged up to no end. Mrs. LL filmed it, and I'm begging her to let me post it. It might be funnier than "David After Dentist".
- Jerry Lewis turns 90 today. He went crazy in that Telethon in his last years as host which led to its demise. And what ever happened to all that money they raised? (And I've always thought his old movies were awful and that Jim Carrey was his equivalent for our generation.)
Her husband is in ICU after a snowmobile accident and she shows up at a Donald Trump event.
The video doesn't catch all of this but this is the full text: "It’s good to be here, thawing out, from Alaska. Literally, I’m thawing out. Before getting on a flight up here, I was ice fishing on my frozen lake. And my husband was out snowmachining, and thank you guys for your prayers for my husband who is recovering right now in ICU after a little wreck on a snowmachine, so thank you. Big wreck. Thank you. But, uh, you know, when real life happens, right? When somebody is sick in your family, there’s an accident that happens, all these struggles… all these real life issues that happen, it really puts things in perspective, doesn’t it? And doesn’t it make you appreciate your time? Time is our most valuable resource. And it makes me appreciate the time that we have to spend in doing something so worthy, and that’s to get Donald J. Trump elected President. And what we don’t have time for is all that petty, punk ass little thuggery stuff that’s been going on with these quote-unquote protesters who are doing nothing but wasting your time."
at 11:44 AM
- Liberally Lean Pic' Em Tournament. Funniest name so far is "Foul Hooked Catfish" which is a callback joke from Random Thoughts last week. (Pay the man, Shirley.)
- "A Weatherford High School senior was killed Monday morning in a hunting accident in Wise County, a spokesman for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department confirmed." I wonder if it was part of the tournament that is going on.
- Trump might very well win, for all intents and purposes, the Republican nomination tonight.
- I once sent out a press release as DA and used the phrase "intensive purposes" because that is what I thought the phrase was. The Messenger corrected it for me before it went to press.
- Jeff Miller, the NFL’s senior vice president for health and safety, acknowledged a causal relationship between football-related head trauma and chronic traumatic encephalopathy Monday. Three thoughts: (1) Finally, (2) I wonder if this admission was authorized and, if not, did Roger Goodell had a heart attack?, and (3) This was during a "roundtable discussion on concussions convened by the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce" That committee was discussing the NFL?
- Has the Fort Worth PD pepper spraying cop been fired yet?
- The Senior In The House woke up yesterday, put on big dark glasses, and walked the dog. Her normally pretty hair was a mess. She looked just like the daughter in Vacation.
- I can't remember the product, but I heard a radio commercial this morning that referenced "intelligent molecules". Idiocracy.
- I missed the story yesterday of the guy who fled from the cops and was found in a barn in Wise County after a dog was used to locate him. We had a regular John Wilkes Booth there. At least the barn wasn't set on fire. (Sidenote: Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson is one of the best history books I've ever read.)
- Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg turns 83 today.
- Mrs. LL is wearing out the kayak. I told her she's going to have arms like Hulk Hogan before the summer is over.
- I watched an old 30 for 30 on the USFL this weekend and it is a must see for any football fan. And then it turns its cross-hairs and Donald Trump who basically destroyed the league. There is nothing more entertaining when they show him the check from the NFL and the USFL sued them. The jury verdict was one dollar.
at 8:39 AM
- I'll have The Official Liberally Lean NCAA Basketball Bracket For College Teams Which Has No Prize [insert trademark] up in a few minutes. Edit: It should be here. Tell me if you have any problems, and please vote responsibly. And get those funny names ready.
- CBS decided to make it a two hour presentation of the seedings for the tournament and then someone decided to release an absolutely accurate bracket on Twitter that had been leaked.
- Baylor plays Yale in the first round. That will be the whitest crowd in the history of ever.
- I've developed a serious case of the hiccups and they keep coming back. That hasn't happened in years.
- I caught another fish! Yay! It swallowed the entire lure. Boo!
- "Alabama deputy shoots dog after man loses everything in trailer fire, arrests him for disorderly conduct, on video"
- An off-duty Farmer's Branch officer shot and killed a 16 year old in Addison last night.
- "At Austin event, Mark Cuban calls Ted Cruz ‘worst politician in Texas’"
- I repaired a bed this weekend which had slats that had collapsed. I used 2x4s, a circular saw, and a Mikata drill. Mrs. LL said there is no way it will hold up. I bet money that it would and gave her 10 to 1 odds. I forgot the supports underneath and I hope it held up or this will be expensive.
- I've never understood the media saying they have an "exclusive interview". Isn't that 99% of interviews?
- Texas has gone from a drought to a rain forest.
- Mrs. LL knew where I went on Saturday and asked me about it, and I have no idea how she knew. I actually laughed. I've got nothing to hide and that's a good feeling.
- The end of the Oklahoma/WVU game was incredible. I'll name it "The Shot That Never Was."
- Uncovered: In November a pastor called for the execution of gays and then introduced Ted Cruz. "Kevin Swanson: Yes, Romans Chapter 1 verse 32 the Apostle Paul does says [sic] that homosexuals are worthy of death. His words not mine! And I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! And I am not ashamed of the truth of the word of God. And I am willing to go to jail…."
at 8:31 AM