- I'm not sure I've ever heard of a capital murder case ending in a "not guilty" when the alleged victim was a cop, but I'm monitoring the Charles Payne.trial going on in Dallas right now. There's something not quite right about it.
- There is a missing 7 year old girl from Mineral Wells who might have been taken by her father. Local connection: "He was released from the Wise County jail in April, but police said he never reported to his probation officer and hasn’t paid his bondsman or attorney." I can't find out what he was charged with here, and, as an aside, I have no idea how the cops would know how the attorney didn't get paid.
- Edit: Fox 4's Lari Barager tells me that the charge was criminal trespass and the cops talked to the bondsman and attorney to try and locate the defendant.
- The Ticket ranked big purchases that quickly turn into regret: A boat, a hot tub,and Bowflex were at the top of the list. I'm two out of three.
- NBC just agreed to pay $1.2 billion for the 2016 Olympics and $1.4 billion for the 2020 Olympics. And that's just for the right to broadcast it -- add on the cost to produce the coverage.
- Flower bed project won't die: I'm having a load of dirt delivered today. And by "load", I mean an amount calculated by Mrs. LL. I'm very interested in what I'll see when I round the corner this evening.
- A letter to the editor in today's Messenger has a lady complaining that no Texas law prohibits cattle from roaming free on Farm to Market roads in Wise County. I thought that was nuts, but a quick bit of research (pdf) proved her to be correct. That is, unless the County Commissioners have called for an election ("Stock Election Law") as to whether cattle need to be fenced in. Have they ever?
- Jogging in this heat is a beating.
- Glenn Beck, who even Fox News didn't want, is starting a subscription web show with a minimum of $4.95 a month. That can't possibly work.
- Saw a guy representing himself in the courthouse yesterday who was pleading guilty to a new offense committed while on probation. Uh, oh. He also couldn't remember the name of his probation officer after six months of reporting.
- I'm pretty sure I saw everyone in the house walk out to go swimming at 9:30 last night.
- Can we agree on this about Sarah Palin?: “Sarah Palin mangled Paul Revere. I don’t care if she said she didn’t – she did.” (That was said by noted author and conservative Bernie Goldberg on Bill O'Reilly.)
- There's some talk of charging the "psychic" in the mass-grave-story yesterday (below) with False Report To A Police Officer. What are the odds that the State could prove she knew her tip was false when she made it?
- Yes, I know about the Mavs game.
- Family Cat decided to violently play in the water bowl at 5:00 a.m.
- Facebook unveiled a "facial recognition" feature yesterday for the tagging of photos. I think I know what that means, but I do know it's "on" by default. I think technology is getting away from me.
at 8:36 AM