- New this morning: The unemployment rate drops to 8.1%. I wonder if it will get to 7.9% with 60 days to go before the presidential election.
- I proclaimed a highway between Grapevine and Frisco the "greatest" in North Texas on Monday. Yesterday, its service road claimed a motorcycle death.
- Florida St. has opened as a 70.5 favorite over Savannah State -- the largest spread in NCAA history. There has to be widespread corruption in games like this -- there is no question that Florida State could cover if they wanted to. So what if a coach tells a buddy, "I'd go to Vegas on this one."
- A personal injury lawyer in Dallas was indicted yesterday for, among other things, allegedly stealing from clients. His online bio proves he's full of himself (especially near the end.) His "family lives life to its fullest from their 280 acre ranch in Palmer, Texas." Sheesh.
- We put an old clothes dryer out on the curb in front of our house last weekend and someone came by and loaded it in a truck within 15 minutes.
- The A's Brandon McCarthy (pitcher) almost got killed by a batted ball two days OK. After the initial "he's doing fine" reports, it was announced he underwent surgery on his skull. I think he used to pitch for the Rangers.
- I missed the President's speech last night because I was at a high school football game. And, mind you, I believe that Thursday night high school football is downright un-American.
- It sounds like his speech was much like Romney's: Good but not great.
- I always see a defendant charged with a misdemeanor decide to represent himself even though he doesn't speak English. He'll go into a prosecutor's office with an interpreter who works for the county to try and resolve the case.
- A "cool front" is coming through tonight which will drop the temperatures 20 degrees. Being at a high school football game tonight at the moment it comes through would be fantastic.
- This morning it will be announced that the Big 12 has reached a deal with ESPN/ABC/Fox for $2.6 billion over thirteen years. Could TCU have joined at a better time? And I was absolutely convinced twice over the last three years that there would no longer be a Big 12.
- It's a football travel weekend for me: An LSU night game and a New Orleans Saints day game (which just happens to be RG3's first game.) I can't tell you how everything lined up perfectly for this trip (including family schedule.)
- I also want to see a cemetery near the French Quarter -- the same one seen near the end of Easy Rider -- but so many reviews say "go with a tour -- it's in a bad neighborhood."
- I'll try to update on the Twitter -- which I've neglected for pretty much over a year.
at 8:36 AM