- Moments ago the U.S. military announced they had killed the Taliban insurgents responsible for downing the helicopter that killed 30 American troops. Should I feel bad for being skeptical? What about when the statement says they specifically killed the individual who fired the rocket propelled grenade?
- This American Life had a show the other day about how some people buy software patents for the sole purpose of suing those who might infringe on them. Then I was reminded that when D Magazine listed the most expensive homes in Dallas in 2009, the #33 ranked home was owned by a guy who did just that. (Frontburner)
- Completely unrelated: A Bridgeport company had a patent awarded to them this week based upon an invention by a Runaway Bay man. Other than it has to do with a drilling, I have no idea what the heck it is.
- Well, I sat around and looked at the stray dog yesterday. Ugh. It's really just a bizarre moment when he's looking at me and I'm looking at him. And when I imagine him thinking, "You're not going to take me to the pound are you?", I know I'm done.
- A reference to a real baby called Skyler that will only make you cry.
- Weird fact I actually calculated and put on my calender: As of today, the number of days that I have held a law license is exactly equal to the number of days I have not held a law license.
- Is anything quite as dumb as the London rioters? (Pretty good photos of it here.)
- The Fox 4 weather guy was throwing out that there was a chance we might not reach 100 on Friday and thereby not match the streak. I think he might be doing a little publicity seeking with that prediction.
- Did you see those clouds that produced the thunderstorm over Gainesville yesterday evening? They looked a lot closer.
- We had a 17 year old in jail in Wise County on a misdemeanor theft charge for about a week who couldn't make a $300 bond. (A bonding company would have written that bond for less than $100.) He and his family couldn't afford it. Kudos to the jail, the prosecutor, and the judge to make sure the situation was justly handled.
- Another prostitution bust of relatively attractive women? This economy must be horrible! (The girl in the first pic has become the center of some research.) Edit: Sheesh. Those are the same girls I posted the other day. But the updated "research" link still has some value.
- Very random thought about Warren Jeffs: The man looks like he could use a few hamburgers.
at 8:38 AM