- That looked like a pretty big grass fire in Rhome yesterday with the charred grass getting really close to those home south of 287 and 114. The Update today says the fire is blamed on a "back firing car." Huh?
- A wrong way driver on 287 and Blue Mound Road left two dead yesterday evening. The Wise County Sheriff's Office was quoted in the short story so maybe one of the cars has a connection to us.
- Cliff Lee is headed to Philadelphia? I'm just glad I can stop hearing about it. (But this random Facebook guy did not take the news in a mature fashion last night.)
- Final Cliff Lee thought: Junior Miller of The Ticket said this morning at 6:15 a.m. that he thought Lee chose the Phillies since he wouldn't have to be "the guy" in the pitching rotation. At 8:11 a.m., WBAP's sports guy announced the very same theory. Coincidence?
- I'm about to end 10 years at the same job. Prior to that, it was 2, 3, 2, and 8 years. I once wrote about my first lawyer job here (including having a 13 page letter thrown at me by my boss). Edit: Nope, not going anywhere.
- I know it doesn't matter, but our DA was the victim of a stunning fantasy football playoff comeback last night. (And it's a sad state of affairs that I tend to watch up to the minute fantasy football scores on Yahoo than the actual score.)
- Hey, we are finally getting civilized: Texas had only eight people sentenced to death row this year. That's the lowest since the death penalty was found to be constitutional in 1976. I actually think that penalty will be abolished as an option throughout the U.S. within the next 20 years.
- The Family Pup graduated from Beginner's Dog School last night. Personally, I'm a little concerned about the state of the doggie educational system in this country.
- I watched the first 30 minutes of Pony Excess, the 30 for 30 documentary on the SMU cheating scandal of the 1980s. So far it's great but stunning that Craig James tries to come off as "above it all." And it's equally fascinating to see every local sports media guy of that era from DFW make an appearance.
- The University of Texas is required to officially post a job listing for its Defensive Coordinator position. At least it warns that you would have to work in front of "large crowds."
- Odd: Channel 5 News was setting up for a live shot at an ATM for a story about a man robbing ATM users when a guy comes up and robs someone using an ATM. The camera was rolling.
- I'm so sick of that Honda "Holiday, it's a holiday" song.
- I've become a big fan of walking down the stairs first thing in the morning and looking at the lighted Christmas tree in the stillness of the house. Ok, maybe it's the stillness.
- In a span of about 15 minutes last night, I found the cables to a TV unplugged, my treadmill headphones destroyed, and my outside jogging headphones missing. After a couple of audible sighs I was smart enough to just let it go.
- Brett Favre's continuous game starting streak came to an end last night (yawn) and this morning his official web site is selling autograph footballs to "honor" the event for $500. Sorriness. Pure sorriness.
- I saw some teenager this weekend stand at a salsa bar in a restaurant and peel the wrapper off his straw into multiple pieces and just toss it on the ground. I almost said something. It really, really bugged me.
at 8:28 AM