Tasers, Meth Or Something Else Caused A Man To Die

We had the Dukes of Hazzard headed to Wise County over the weekend!

Media Contact:
Sergeant Pedro Criado
For Immediate Release
On January 13, 2012, at approximately 1:00 a.m., a Fort Worth Officer was in the nearby area of a hotel where narcotics transactions are common. Officer observed a cream colored Cadillac leaving the hotel and ran a check on the license plate. The registration information showed the license plate was expired (Sept -2011) and the officer attempted to stop the vehicle. When the officer engaged his overhead lights the vehicle accelerated and failed to yield to the officer. Officer initiated a pursuit and was assisted by other North Division units and Air 1. Officers were unable to determine a number of occupants in the vehicle.

The pursuit eventually went West/northwest on U.S. Hwy 287 where stop sticks were deployed in the 10000 block to terminate the pursuit. The stop stick deployment was successful and the vehicle began fishtailing across the traffic lanes. As the vehicle was moving side to side, officers observed gunshots being fired from the suspect vehicle and window glass flying back in the direction of their patrol units. One of the officers observed that the front windshield appeared to be damaged from gunfire.

The vehicle travelled across the divided highway and came to a stop on the South shoulder of the roadway. When the suspect vehicle came to a stop a White female suspect exited the passenger side and began running to the rear of the car, a White male suspect exited the driver’s door and stood with his hands up. Assist Officers approached the suspects ordering them to surrender; the male suspect failed to obey orders and quickly dove back into the driver’s area and out of officer’s sight. Officer believed the subject was retrieving the gun from the vehicle and fired one shot from his duty weapon. The male suspect backed out of the vehicle and officers physically engaged him. The male suspect struggled with officers and resisted their attempts to take him in to custody. Two arresting officers deployed their taser in drive stun mode and were able to take the male suspect into custody.

The male suspect WAS NOT struck by the officer's gunfire and was taken to a nearby patrol unit. The male suspect collapsed in the patrol unit. Officers could not find a heartbeat and immediately started CPR on the male suspect. The female suspect told officers that she and the male suspect had ingested a large amount of “METH” during the pursuit while running from officers. Medstar made the scene and transported both suspects to the hospital. The male suspect was unresponsive and in very critical condition. Two days later he was pronounced deceased by medical personnel. The female suspect was treated for an overdose and determined to be in very critical condition.
A revolver/gun was recovered from the driver's area of the suspect vehicle. A white powder substance was recovered in and around the suspect vehicle and from both suspect's clothing.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office makes final determination as to manner and cause of death. This is considered a Critical Police Incident and still under investigation; therefore, it would be inappropriate to comment further or conduct interviews at this time. 

Anyone betting that our Wise County boys were ready for them?
Below is from the the ME's site which seems to match the story (I think police always classify Hispanics as "white". Really.) The place of death is John Peter Smith.